So, it has been a couple of weeks since i last posted the status of the upgrade… In those weeks, i have finilized the parts list, started ordering stuff, and stuff has started arriving! But first, some news about the Mac Pro… you all though it was dead… I though it was dead… then i cleaned the graphics card, and, well, its working again…. but, and this is a big but, the graphics card is still over heating… pain in the arse… going to try replace the Graphics card and use it as a server… more on that later.
So, Final parts list:
- Mobo and Chips – Went with the Intel S5520SC and E5520 processors. Ordered them and they arrived a few weeks ago. Unboxing photos here.
- Coolers: Went with non Watercooling… kind of chickened out at the idea of water flowing around a couple of grands worth of computer… Went with the Noctua NH-U12 DX. Photos and Unboxing here.
- Case: Antec P193
- HDDs: Boot: 2 x WD Velociraptor 300Gbs Data: Currently 2 1Tb WD Black Editions
- Graphics: Asus GeForce 275 with 896Mb Ram
- Powe Supply: Corsair HX-1000w
- Memory: 12Gb Kingston (Still waiting on this…)
Photos of the first part of the build are up here, Once the memory arrives, i will fill in the HDDs, grab a DVDR from somewhere and stick that in and hook up some monitors. We can then start testing this bad boy!
So, i am now in the process of finding the bits so i can order the machine… Waiting for money to clear in to my bank account (hopefully by Thursday) and then into the Credit Card (Friday). Then i can start ordering!
Some things i have been looking into since the last update:
The case has changed 3 times… Originally i was looking at the SilverStone TJ07, but cant seem to get my hands on it anywhere… Then I was looking at their Raven RV01… Then this morning i found the Antec P193… and now i am thinking The Thermaltake Kandalf VD4000BWS… and its water cooled!!! This thing looks like a bit of a beast… It has:
- 360x120mm radiator in the front
- 500l/hr pump
- all the stuff needed to water cool the machine (need to get a second cooler for the CPU… and might have to change the first one also… no mention of the Socket 1366 support)
- 9 5.25
In yesterday’s post, i mentioned that i was thinking about Water Cooling the Workstation V.Next… Well, after some “research
So, a few days back i mentioned that my Mac Pro died… this meant that i could start the process of planning and building the Workstation V.Next, as i like to call it.
So, what do i currently have planned:
- The Board: Intel Shady Cove S5520S. It has
- 12 DIMM sockets, each supporting up to 4Gb, giving a total of 48Gb RAM
- 2 1366 Sockets, allowing 2 Xeon 5500 Series processors
- 6 SATA ports
- 8 USB Ports (including the extra headers)
- 2 Firewire ports
- 2 PCI Express x16 V2 slots
- 4X, 8X PCI Express and a PCI slot
- Non SLI Compatible, but Crossfire is good to go…
- and twin GigE Network ports
- CPU: Intel Xeon E5520 X2
- 8mb cache
- Quad Core
- 731 Million Transistors!
- Case: SilverStone TJ07
- Cooling: Water
At the moment, i am not 100% sure what to get when it comes to water cooling gear. all i know is that i could potentially fit a 4x120mm rad in the bottom of the case and stick a pump and reservoir in one or 2 of the 5.25